The Lowy Institute is delighted to announce the shortlist for the 2018 Lowy Institute Media Award.
The nominated journalists are:
- Michael Bachelard and Fairfax team including Kate Geraghty, Felicity Lewis, Nick Miller, Lindsay Murdoch, Kirsty Needham and David Wroe – nominated for a series of articles in The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age on China’s Belt and Road Initiative.
- Jo Chandler – nominated for her article ‘PNG’s Resource Curse’ in The Monthly.
- Nick McKenzie – nominated for a series of articles in The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age on Chinese foreign influence in Australia, with contributions from Richard Baker, David Crowe, Angus Grigg, Fergus Hunter, James Massola, Nick O’Malley and Alexandra Smith.
- Cameron Stewart – nominated for his coverage in The Australian of President Trump’s White House.
- Mark Willacy – nominated for his ABC Foreign Correspondent episode ‘The Dome’.
- Evan Williams – nominated for his SBS Dateline episode ‘Myanmar’s Killing Fields’.
Now in its sixth year, the Lowy Institute Media Award is Australia’s premier award for recognising excellence in foreign affairs journalism. The Award is presented to an Australian journalist or journalistic team working in print, broadcast or online media who has deepened the knowledge or shaped the discussion of international policy. The winner or winning team receives $20,000.
This year’s judges for the Award were: Cynthia Banham, author and former Fairfax journalist; Amanda Buckley, media and communications consultant and former journalist; Mick Keelty AO APM, former Commissioner of the Australian Federal Police; Mark Ryan, Lowy Institute Board Member; and Michael Fullilove, Executive Director of the Lowy Institute.
Previous Media Award winners include the ABC’s Matt Brown, Fairfax’s Jewel Topsfield, The Australian’s Paul Maley, the ABC’s Hayden Cooper, and Fairfax’s John Garnaut.
The 2018 Lowy Institute Media Award Dinner will be held at NSW Parliament House on Saturday, 24 November. The 2018 Media Lecture will be delivered by Susan Glasser, Washington columnist for The New Yorker and a global affairs analyst for CNN. Following the lecture, Lowy Institute Executive Director Dr Michael Fullilove will chair a Q&A session with Ms Glasser and her husband Peter Baker, Chief White House Correspondent for The New York Times. Veteran ABC Pacific Correspondent Sean Dorney will then present this year’s Media Award to the winner or winning team.
– Ends –
For further information, please contact:
Erin Bassett – Media and Communications Manager
E. firstname.lastname@example.org M. +61 409 461 795