By Melanesia Program Director Jenny Hayward-Jones and Research Associate Philippa Brant.
- China has joined the OECD Development Centre, and will strengthen cooperation across 20 policy areas. The OECD will also provide support to China ahead of and during its 2016 G20 presidency.
- This week the city of Ufa, Russia, will host both the BRICS and SCO Summits. Look out for an announcement on the New Development Bank (aka BRICS Bank).
- The UK's International Development Secretary Justine Greening gave her first major development speech since the May elections, focusing on the 'beyond aid agenda'.
- The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, along with New Zealand and Australia, last week chaired Pacific regional consultations in preparation for the World Humanitarian Summit in May 2016. This report provides useful recommendations for future responses to disasters in the Pacific.
- Two interesting interactives: on the humanitarian economy and another on global peace operations.
- The BBC looks at how the MDGs have changed life in one Chadian village after 15 years.
- Rwanda has immortalised the One Laptop Per Child initiative on its currency (h/t Blattman):