Dirk van der Kley is a Research Associate in the Lowy Institute's East Asia Program.
- As Japan woos Vietnam amid tense relations with China, Asahi Shimbun warns Shinzo Abe not to divide Asian countries into friend or foe.
- A thought-provoking take by Christopher Ford of the Hudson institute on 'China's fixation upon shaping others' accounts of China', based on this year's Xiangshan Forum, hosted by the PLA.
- At China's largest trade fair, Africans are compensating for the decrease in purchases by European companies.
- How is China's global outlook being shaped by China's engagement in Africa?
- Excellent Sinica podcast covering last week's anti-corruption outpouring.
- Recent pollution in Beijing – dubbed by some as 'airpocalypse' — has led to a surge on environmental stocks. Meanwhile, a factory fire in Hangzhou went unnoticed for three hours due to smog.