- Beijing is 'exploring whether to change tactics' in its relationship with North Korea.
- Social security and corruption are the biggest concerns in China, according to the three million respondents to the People's Daily internet survey.
- Air and water pollution were the fastest rising concerns for Chinese citizens in 2013.
- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi in Afghanistan:
The peace and stability of this country has an impact on the security of western China, and more importantly, it affects the tranquillity and development of the entire region. We hope to see a broad-based and inclusive political reconciliation in Afghanistan as soon as possible, and China will play a constructive role to facilitate that...A divided country will have no future.
- Black and white photos of Qigong exercises in China in the 80s and 90s.
- Is the air-sea battle concept unnecessarily provoking China?
- Chinese Finance Minister Lou Jiwei rebuts US calls to expand the role of markets.
- The PLA is considering reducing the amount of time spent training for acts of showmanship, such as breaking bricks on soldiers' heads.
- A seriously good rendition of the Super Mario theme song played on a modified version of a traditional Chinese instrument, known as the sheng. (H/T Shanghaiist)