- Listen to the Kaldor Centre’s podcast on safezones featuring Professor Geoff Gilbert.
- EU leaders have pledged further support following threats from Italy to close its ports to NGO ships carrying rescued asylum seekers.
- Writing for the Guardian, Inna Lazareva outlines the challenges faced by former M’Poko refugee camp residents returning to their homes in Bangui, Central African Republic (CAR).
- Brookings Institute’s Jessica Brandt remains optimistic about the impact of the partially-reinstated US travel ban on refugees.
- Can President Trump deliver on his immigration campaign promises? Elaine Kamarck explores barriers to implementation in a recent Brookings Cafeteria podcast.
- The UK government has announced a 12-month immigration amnesty period for survivors of the Grenfell Tower fire.
- The University of Vienna’s Jeremias Stadlmair investigates which policies contribute to patterns of naturalisation across Europe.
- The University of Oxford’s International Migration Institute has published a working paper on the geography of anti-immigrant attitudes in Europe.
- Strict new migration laws in Thailand have prompted a surge in migrant returns. Reports indicate that to avoid arrest, some migrants have been forced to bribe immigration officials.
- More than 1.2 million people have been displaced in Southern China following extensive flooding in the region.
Migration & border policy links: Italy overwhelmed, Thailand’s crackdown, US travel ban and more
This week's links also include refugees heading home in the Central African Republic and the UK's immigration amnesty for Grenfell Tower fire survivors.