- Delhi has gone to the polls this week for state elections. With an unusually high 66% of voters turning up this year, this infographic breaks down the factors behind rising state election turnouts.
- India is refusing to back down on a WTO global trade deal due to an issue over food subsidies. Political pressure is mounting, but Indian trade minister Anand Sharma has argued that it is better to have no outcome than a bad outcome.
- How should India respond to China’s Air Defence Identification Zone?
- The impact of cronyism and corruption on India’s economic growth. But are things looking up for the Indian economy?
- C Raja Mohan argues that India must abandon the colonial era idea of Asian solidarity against the West in order to pursue its foreign policy more effectively.
- What is behind the recent tensions between officers and soldiers in the Indian army?
- The Wall Street Journal reported this week on the practice of Indian women filing ‘false promise’ rape complaints due to the stigma of being unwed and pregnant . The story provoked a number of diverse reactions.
- Vinod K Jose argues that the Indian media needs a philosophical model:
The Indian press desperately needs some life-supporting philosophical interventions that can cut across our social and political institutions, and assert the primacy of the public good. Are we thinking so narrowly about our annual profits that we forget to sustain the cause of journalism? Where are the visionary publishing leaders in India?