William Hobart is a Lowy Institute International Security intern and an AIIA NSW Councillor.
- Could Russia be the answer to the US strategic dilemma in the Indo-Pacific?
- India's Look East policy continues with a recent visit from Republic of Korea President Park Geun-hye.
- Work has reportedly started on the latest Chinese aircraft carrier.
- Meanwhile, Japan denies that it plans to build an aircraft carrier (and for background, some reasons why the recently launched Izumo-class isn't one).
- China announces that it will conduct civilian patrols of disputed areas in the South China Sea.
- Australia re-establishes defence links in Burma, appointing Royal Australian Navy (RAN) Captain Jon Dudley as Defence Attaché.
The Lowy Institute International Security Program's work on Indo-Pacific security is supported by two grants from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.