By Rachael Buckland, an intern with the Lowy Institute's Migration and Border Policy Project
- The Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection has published its 2015-2016 figures on migration, refugee and humanitarian entry, citizenship, and general operations.
- Professor William Maley wrote about the need to re-frame contemporary refugee political discourse.
- The Washington Post published a three-part infographic series on border protection in the 21st century.
- In a recent report, Ben Emmerson, UN Special Rapporteur on counter-terrorism and human rights, found no evidence to suggest that migration leads to increased terrorist activity.
- Migration Policy Institute’s Muzaffar Chishti and Sarah Pierce unpacked US immigration policy towards post-hurricane Haiti.
- During a Médecins Sans Frontières rescue mission in the central Mediterranean, 25 people were found dead on an inflatable rubber boat.
- A BBC Panorama investigation has revealed that Syrian refugees are working in Turkish factories manufacturing clothes for Western labels Marks and Spencer, Asos, Zara and Mango.
- IOM Iraq launched an online portal to provide daily updates on civilian displacement after the 17 October launch of the military operation to retake Mosul.
- Following the third meeting of a DPRK-China bilateral border commission, a China’s Foreign Ministry statement outlined the growing relationship between the two nations, including a commitment to increased cross-border cooperation.
Photo: Flickr user The 621st Contingency Response Wing