- The opposition leader in PNG has called for the country to cancel hosting the 2018 Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation summit because it cannot afford it. The country is bringing in three large cruise ships to accommodate visitors.
- A new report from the World Wildlife Fund urges Melanesian states to move towards a 'blue economy' approach to protecting their marine assets.
- A High Court decision on tax-free salaries for MPs in the Solomon Islands has been overturned. The Court of Appeal said that the exemption was legal, despite its unpopularity with the community.
- Health authorities at the Solomon Islands National Referral Hospital in Honiara are struggling to contain a dengue virus outbreak.
- The 14 MPs in Vanuatu jailed for bribery and corruption may be released thanks to a constitutional loophole. The trial is ongoing.
- There are discussions underway in Fiji to form a coalition of political parties to oppose Bainimarama's ruling Fiji First party in the 2018 general election.
- National Geographic has documented modern mummification in a remote village in PNG, a practice greatly reduced by colonisation.
- The Pacific Islands Forum decision to admit New Caledonia and French Polynesia joining the Pacific Islands Forum has prompted some to ask if the move will entrench French colonialism in the Pacific Islands
- Irish singer Ronan Keating is in Port Moresby this week with his wife Storm Keating, née Uechtritz, who grew up in Salamaua, Morobe Province, PNG. He will perform for the People’s National Congress Party fundraising dinner at the Stanley Hotel.
- Papua New Guinean women have been recognised for their business achievements in the 10th Westpac Outstanding Women awards. The overall winner, IT general manager Bosa Togs, won for her successful campaign for equal pay for women at Telikom PNG.
Pacific Island links: Calls to cancel APEC in PNG, dengue fever outbreak and more
PNG opposition wants to cancel APEC hosting in 2018; tax-free salaries for Solomon Island MPs to stay, 14 jailed MPs in Vanuatu may be released, talk of a coalition to oppose Bainimarama and more
Two great reads on Trumpism