Welcome to the first Pacific Island links. Each Thursday, we will share with you the most interesting or thought provoking things the Lowy Institute's Pacific islands specialists have read from and about the region.
- In an election year for Solomon Islands, there are concerns that politics will interfere with relief to flood victims.
- In Fiji, trade unionists plan to flout an electoral decree that puts restrictions on political parties.
- A review of the Kiribati Australia Nursing Initiative (KANI) raises key questions about labour migration for Kiribati and the region more generally.
- A story of fake money and international scammers from Bougainville highlights vulnerability to political and economic manipulation.
- The Melanesian Spearhead Group presents its current economic initiatives.
- As time runs out, the EU confirms its commitment to the Economic Partnership Agreement. But Pacific countries have ongoing concerns.
- The Asian Development Bank has released a new report: The Challenges of Doing Business in Papua New Guinea.
We send our condolences to the people of Solomon Islands on the loss of life during last week's flash flooding.