- Global population growth is slowing, and world population may actually start declining soon.
- A prominent Laotian NGO leader went missing last December, grabbed at a police checkpoint. His disappearance has triggered an uproar.
- A useful primer on Laos today from the Council on Foreign Relations.
- Obama's likely nominee for Treasury Secretary, Jacob Lew, will have to change his signature if he wants it to appear on US currency. (Thanks Steve.)
- An amusing glossary of the baffling terms used in the intelligence world. (Thanks Michael.)
- Great Kinsley column on Hillary Clinton's workaholism: 'Travel is an especially good way to stay -- and appear -- busy. Otherwise, you are at risk of actually being at your desk when someone calls. What could be more embarrassing?'
- The technology to capture carbon dioxide from the atmosphere is getting better and cheaper.
- Trailer for a new documentary on Google's attempts to digitise every book ever (h/t SlashFilm):