- A bland media release from Europe's officials statistics agency tells a tale of a vast human misery: unemployment in Greece and Spain is around 27%, with youth unemployment approaching a staggering 60%. (H/t Drum.)
- The Economist has analysis of global youth unemployment here.
- 'France avoids defence cuts', says Reuters. 'Crisis-hit France to cut armed forces by 10%', says AFP.
- Yes, oil production is growing, but Chinese demand is set to grow even faster.
- David Brooks on America's think tanks: 'They used to look like detached quasi universities; now some are more like rapid response teams for their partisan masters.'
- An interview King Abdullah gave to The Atlantic is making waves in Jordan.
- Shashank Joshi on Syria:
...the United States and others are coming to the conclusion that deposing Assad would no longer guarantee regime change or transition, but might instead produce a prolonged period of fratricidal intra-rebel fighting.