Danielle Rajendram is a Research Associate in the Lowy Institute's International Security Program whose work focuses on India and China-India relations.
- Is freedom of speech under threat in the world's largest democracy?
- India's Ambassador to the US, Nirupama Rao, delivered a lecture on Indian views of America's Asia pivot at Brown University. She quotes the Lowy Institute's Rory Medcalf on his views on the Indo-Pacific.
- Ashok Malik looks at how to conceptualise India's new middle class, and how politicians should react to its growing influence.
- Will Chinese and Indian geopolitical rivalries play out in Africa, and can India compete?
- Dan Morrison argues that 'India's successful war on polio shows what can happen when its government sets clear policy goals backed with proper funding and real accountability.'
- India's aid budget has swelled to $3.5 billion annually, or just under 0.2% of GDP. Can India afford it?
- How far ahead of India is China? Based on social indicators, about 10 years.
- An incredible slideshow of images from the Kumbh Mela, the world's largest religious festival, this year held at the confluence of the Ganges and the Yamuna rivers. However the water may not be safe for bathing, let alone drinking. The festival is held every three years at one of four locations; the image below was captured in 2010 by Flickr user deep_schismic at Haridwar.*
* Edited for clarity at 14.23.