The Indo-Pacific is a strategic system encompassing the Indian and Pacific oceans, reflecting the expanding interests and reach of China and India as well as the enduring role of the US. The Lowy Institute's International Security program presents a weekly selection of links illuminating the changing security picture in this increasingly connected super-region.
- The Rajaratnam School of International Studies, in conjunction with the Center for Naval Analyses, has released a compilation of papers written on the theme of 'Navigating the Indo-Pacific Arc.'
- President Obama has nominated Ashton Carter to be the next US Secretary of Defense. Though the choice was widely praised, some have warned of the challenges ahead for the nominee, both domestic and foreign.
- In a joint statement before this year's Defence Strategic Dialogue, representatives from China and Australia announced an agreement to boost defence ties.
- Bernt Berger of ISDP argued in a recent policy brief that there are clear limits to Russia's move to improve relations with key Asian states like China.
- Philippa Brant has provided a brief breakdown of two South China Sea-related documents released in the last week: China's position paper regarding the Philippine arbitration case and a US State Department report concerning China's 'nine-dash line' in the context of international law.
- In a piece for the National Interest, Patrick Cronin has argued that the US and its allies must consider measures that impose costs on China for aggressive and coercive action.
- Despite denying involvement, North Korea's unconfirmed role in the Sony hacking attack last month has again raised concern regarding its cyber-warfare capabilities.
- Vijay Sakhuja of the National Maritime Foundation has noted that since the 2008 Mumbai attack, India has reinforced its maritime domain awareness. However, challenges such as a slow and/or inadequate legislative process remain a major impediment.
The Lowy Institute International Security Program's work on Indo-Pacific security is supported by two grants from the John D and Catherine T MacArthur Foundation.