- Pacific Island leaders came together in Japan last week for the seventh Pacific Islands Leaders’ Meeting. Jenny Hayward-Jones and Philippa Brant analyse Japan's aid commitments to the region in light of China’s growing presence.
- PNG's Treasury Secretary responds to Moody's Investor Services downgrade for PNG from stable to negative.
- PNG Prime Minister Peter O'Neill has been on the speechmaking circuit throughout May, boosting his regional leadership credentials: in Japan he spoke on global engagement, in Lae on business opportunities in PNG, in Sydney on PNG’s place in the world and in Port Moresby on Indonesia and the Papuan provinces.
- Fiji Prime Minister Frank Bainimarama has also spoken out in support of Indonesia's bid to become an associate member of the Melanesian Spearhead Group.
- The Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat is calling for submissions for regional initiatives to address priority issues in the Pacific.
- The Secretariat of the Pacific Community’s flagship program, The Pacific Way, is marking its 20th anniversary this year. Here’s the last episode of season 9:
Pacific Island links: PALM7, Peter O'Neill speeches, Fiji-Indonesia and The Pacific Way
Published 27 May 2015
You may also be interested in
Links from across the Pacific Islands by The Interpreter team.
Working for a ride-sharing app in Africa, “invisible countries”, and links from the aid and development sector.
Pakistan’s economic prospects are clouded by the precarious future of its most critical asset - its young people.