In February 2017 the Lowy Institute’s International Security Program, with the generous support of the Korea Foundation, hosted the Australia-ROK Emerging Leaders International Security Forum. Through policy-oriented activities, the Forum aims to build a community of security scholars and future policymakers to nurture the Australia-ROK bilateral security relationship over the course of their careers, with a particular focus on security, at the international, regional and bilateral levels. The Forum brings together eight emerging leaders and two co-chairs from diverse backgrounds:
- Co-chairs: Dr Euan Graham, Director of the International Security Program, Lowy Institute and Prof Woo-sang Kim, former Korean Ambassador to Australia (2008-2011) and Professor in Political Science and International Studies, Yonsei University.
- Korean Emerging Leaders: Dr Jong-kun Choi (Yonsei University), Dr Jae-hyon Lee (Asan Institute), Dr So-young Kwon (George Mason University, Korea), Dr Jae-jeok Park (Hankuk University of Foreign Studies)
- Australian Emerging Leaders: Dr Andrew Carr (Australian National University), Dr Danielle Chubb (Deakin University), Dr Justin Hastings (University of Sydney), Mr Andrew Kwon (PwC Canberra).
Through frank and broad-ranging discussion, the Forum seeks to build capacity for the next generation in Australia-ROK relations and to strengthen mutual understanding between the two countries, as well as to encourage individual collaboration and continued engagement in the field of Australia-ROK security cooperation. Emerging Leaders will present in four roundtable discussions:
- Global Security Context
- Australia-ROK Regional Cooperation as Middle Powers
- The Future of North Korea
- Australia-ROK Security Cooperation
Over two days in Sydney and one day in Canberra, participants were encouraged to identify concrete ways in which Korea and Australia can cooperate in defence and security, and to provide policy recommendations for the ROK-Australia relationship. Emerging Leaders have been publishing their conclusions in a series of articles for The Interpreter.