Security and PNG's national interest - an event by UPNG and Lowy Institute
Papua New Guinea’s security and defence agreements with the United States and Australia have become increasingly important. But security has different meanings for everyone. Join us and an expert panel to discuss PNG’s perspectives on security and how they can be best advanced in the national interest.
The panel was chaired by Winnie Kiap CBE, a leading voice for PNG and the Pacific, and a distinguished diplomat and public service executive.
Also on the panel was:
• Mr Ivan Pomaleu, Secretary of Prime Minister and National Executive Council
• Mr Elias Wohengu, Secretary of Foreign Affairs
• Dr Elizabeth Kopel, Senior Research Fellow and Program Leader of the Informal Economy Research Program
• Professor Chalapan Kaluwin, Director of the Centre for Climate Change and Sustainable Development, Head of Environmental Sciences and Geography, UPNG
• Ms Luania Temu, local entrepreneur, digital expert, and youth leader
Event was recorded on Monday 14 August 2023