By Rachael Buckland, an intern with the Lowy Institute's Migration and Border Policy Project.
- The NSW Government has announced job assistance training for refugees arriving to the state from Syria and Iraq.
- Writing for the Daily Telegraph, Miranda Devine questioned the criticism directed at Immigration Minister Peter Dutton following his recent comments about Lebanese immigration.
- Malcolm Turnbull took time out from the APEC leaders’ summit to discuss irregular migration with Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak.
- Pádraig Collins unpacks the uncertainty surrounding the US-Australian refugee swap under a Trump administration.
- The 2016 Scanlon Foundation Mapping Social Cohesion in Australia survey was released this week. While results indicated that concern about immigration is at a nine-year low, only a minority of survey respondents indicated support for asylum seekers reaching Australia by sea.
- Watch COMPAS’ Professor Michael Keith speak at Oxford Martin School on the interplay between cities, urbanisation and migration.
- The World Health Organisation published a report on the nexus between migration and health.
- Oxford University Press published Refugee Economies: Forced Displacement and Development, an exploration of refugees’ economic lives.
- Read IOM’s statistical breakdown of the civilian impact of Mosul operations.
- Migration Policy Institute released a report underlining the importance of taking a ‘whole-of-society’ approach for achieving effective resettlement and integration of asylum seekers and migrants in Europe.
- IMI released a podcast examining the role of migration in the aftermath of a cyclone in regional Bangladesh.
- Anti-Rohingya tension is on the rise in Myanmar with a new wave of destruction hitting Rohingya villages this week. ASPI’s John Coyne argues that Jakarta may be the last hope.
Photo: Getty Images/Anadolu Agency