By Harriet Smith, an intern with the Lowy Institute's Melanesia Program.
- New research has shown that droughts and flooding rains in the Pacific are likely to increase as a result of climate change, as the greenhouse gas emission cuts in the Paris Agreement are not enough to stop the risk of these major weather disruptions in the region.
- A group of contractors have arrived on Manus Island to begin interviewing refugees about resettlement in the United States, while the Australian Senate has debated the forced deportation of others in the same detention centre.
- Jonathan Pryke, co-author of the recent Lowy Institute report, 'Strengthening the Asian Development Bank in 21st Century Asia', has pointed to a need for the ADB to provide more on the ground support of Pacific Islands countries.
- Some in Australia’s defence and diplomatic communities are uneasy about Chinese infrastructure investment in Papua New Guinea. Check out our own Chinese aid in the Pacific map to see China’s footprint across the region.
- Findings from a paper analysing the results of an exit survey of Economics graduates in Papua New Guinea have helped fill the gap in research in this space, and demonstrate the optimism and entrepreneurial spirit of graduates.
- A former Fijian journalist has published a study on the perceptions of self-censorship and media freedom in Fiji.
- The new chair of Fiji’s electoral commission has prioritised maintaining transparency and upholding impartiality.
- The Minister of Health in the Solomon Islands defended his Child and Family Bill during the debate in parliament today, calling for the country to deal with the breakdown of traditional support structures and abuse within families.
- A controversial Australian documentary, The Opposition, has won the Grand Prize at the International Pacific Documentary Film Festival in French Polynesia. It tells the story of a community battling against commercial development in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea.
- Papua New Guinea is mourning the loss of Ruby Laufa, law student and former Miss PNG winner.
- Researchers have shown that the depiction of Polynesian voyaging and celestial navigation in Disney’s 'Moana' was accurate down to the constellations.
Main photo: Pexels/8551 images CCO Public Domain